16.2.08

//Sables Chantans//

I really regret never having gone to Warren High School in San Antonio. I always wanted to go to an inner city high school where there would be legit ciphers and rap battles at lunch break and two-dollar house parties after school. Instead I got stuck with intelligent black kids who were not urban and straight ignorant black kids who were too violent. Damien who happened to be black was also my best friend for the time he spent at Thorn Secondary School but soon moved back to Malvern with his mother. I couldn’t visit him cause during this time Malvern was too dangerous to go to. Hell…when Damien came back to get his transcript he was too dangerous to talk to. He had three pagers and a cell phone and this is when no kids had cell phones. At least I could call him. Damien went on to have a baby with some white girl who he met and fell in love with at Wendy’s Hamburgers. It was a sad day when I congratulated him on his baby girl and afterwards asked how his aspirations to become a lawyer were going to which he replied, “The closest I am getting to a lawyer is standing beside one”. It was around this time when I traded in a lot of my Rap music for Cat Power and Blonde Redhead. I still ran the Afro-centric club even though it lost a lot of its meaning. I came to terms with the divide that existed. Sunset Park was a good movie but my parents would have moved my family to avoid such a school. Teens in Dangerous Minds were introduced to Bob Dylan at school I was introduced to Bob Dylan at birth on account of my father, Clockers had a lot of dialogue about drugs inside of Rodney Little’s barber shop the only time I ever heard drugs being discussed in my Mother’s salon was when Geoff Morris from my hockey team got addicted to weed. After the divide set in I only read Sartre’s preface to Wretched of the Earth and didn’t bother with Fanon’s book. But don’t fret! The divide came to a wonderful end one day when I met the lovely Bethany. Bethany was from Queens, New York and reminded me of Pam Grier. She was cool like Pam, dressed well and I wanted to marry her! To make a stupid story short, we went camping and while we were hiking I told Bethany a secret. It came off like a racist remark. Shit! However the history of Black people bifurcates and entangles itself with the history of crackers so much so that I found peaceable common ground. Hiking to our favorite spot at a beach in Tobermory I told Bethany “You are my second Black experience” to which she gave a very uncomfortable and shocked silence. I was sort of freaking out because we really didn’t know each other that well and I may have fucked up the next four days that I had with Bethany. On the purlieu of my existence came a rare moment that was exactly like beating an opponent in a rap battle. You come up with something astonishingly witty, a numinous quip and a powerful negation to a desolate lacuna. In one bar I ended all our suffering, it was very much like Whitney Houston singing Dolly Parton’s I Will Always Love You. The racial harmony we had so much sought for came to be. I told Bethany “Jimmy Hendrix was my first” and she laughed and we swam and drank beer in the hot summer sun and I got sun burnt and she did also but just a little bit!
P.S. Can’t Wait to see Bethany next summer!